Welcome to Al's blog

Alistair started ABA-design 21 years ago. Now you can enjoy insights from our guru.

Tuesday 17 May 2011

My most valued construction material



Light - that’s it in a word. For me it’s about light. You can play with texture and you can play with form but playing with light is amazing. I was on a site this morning for a house I’m designing and it’s really interesting that this house is at the stage where it’s got the roof on, walls up and windows in, but no electrics at all. As I walked the client through the house we were able to understand the light that would be in play most of the time.

Lighting will change a mood. Areas that are dark now, will be changed when you light them. Natural light is an amazing thing. We’ve all seen it, particularly on something like the sea. I do a lot of sailing. Sail on a grey day - everything’s grey. The sky is grey and the water is grey. The sun comes out and everything turns blue, crystallises and sparkles. The whole scene comes alive as the Natural light shifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment